Info about portfolios below, from their website (http://www.beaconschool.org/admissions/application-process/).
Keep in mind, submitting a portfolio and signing up for an interview doesn’t mean you’ll get an interview. And my advice, if possible, sign up and drop off earlier rather than later. It takes time for schools to process everything. Some schools end up doing interviews after applications are submitted and it’s hard to rank not knowing how an interview will go.
If you don’t get an interview offer, I wouldn’t rank the school. The interview far more kids than they have spots for.
Student’s work must be submitted in a letter-sized manila folder. Student’s name and middle school should be written on the tab. Please do not use plastic folders, binders or page protectors. The folder must include the following 4 items:
1. One paper or project written for an English, social studies, humanities, science or math class in 7th or 8th grade that is in-depth and exemplifies the students best work (one paper/project total). If possible, avoid submitting worksheets. Papers or projects that show analytic thinking are suggested (for example, a critical English essay, a persuasive social studies essay, a science tab with a hypothesis, a math project that demonstrates reasoning). Comments and/or grade from teacher must be included on the paper or project.
2. A one-page, single-spaced typed paper, written by the student (not more than 500 words). In the paper, the student may respond to either the first or second prompt, but not both. The first prompt for the paper is: What do you do in your extracurricular life that demonstrates a commitment to learning beyond the classroom? Discuss a special dedication to, a special talent for, or interest in the arts, technology, community service, an academic subject, or sports. The second prompt is: Discuss a person or experience that changed your life. Explain the person or experience and, specifically, how the person or experience changed you.
3. Student’s 7th grade June (final) report card.
4. 7th grade ELA test scores
5. 7th grade Math test scores
Drop off dates for the Admission Portfolios are: Monday through Friday, October 16 through November 14, 2017, from 7am – 4am.
Portfolios may be submitted by the student or a family member. To deliver the portfolio in person, come to the Beacon School 522 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036.
To send portfolio by mail, send the portfolio to: Admissions, The Beacon School, 522 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036.
Portfolios may NOT be submitted electronically.
Portfolios will not be returned to applicants. Photocopies of original work are accepted.